Whew, I can’t stand this heat and it makes me want to get out of the kitchen! Normally I love to cook, but not when it’s like this. I just whipped up an old stand-by for later today and since I posted a recipe yesterday, I thought I’d post another today. This originally was shared on my old blog in the summer of 2008, so it’s been a while! Looking back on what I had written at the time, not that much has changed!
We love this in the summer, and it can be served hot or cold, as a side or a main dish. Feel free to change up the ingredients to taste.
Since we’re all back from the beach, it’s time to get back on South Beach diet again. So one of my goals this week is to get back in the groove of planning tasty and interesting meals. And in these days where food prices keep going up and up, it’s nice to find something that’s not only really tasty but thrify too, hence today’s recipe….
- 1 can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can whole kernal corn (optional for South Beach), drained
- 1 can diced jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- garlic salt
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
“It’s a keeper!” from Kingfish
“I LOVED it and I don’t even care for tomatoes much” from Bananarama