I love that we’re getting a lot of home grown tomatoes this time of year (and I haven’t grown any of them…big thanks to Lara and Doug next door!). I’ve been making large batches of fresh salsa, and it’s so good! It takes some prep work, chopping and chopping and chopping, but it’s worth every minute. Feel free to add or substitute whatever you want, because it always works. I thought that you might enjoy some at your Labor Day barbecues and parties.
- Several large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced fine
- 2 jalepeno peppers, seeded and diced (or more)
- 2 bell peppers, diced (I like yellow and orange to keep it colorful)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 handful kosher salt (about 1/4 C)
- juice of 2 fresh limes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
This is pretty great on anything, from eggs to chicken to tortilla chips (of course!).
Enjoy, and happy long weekend, everybody!